Friday, October 28, 2011

Ghosts of Midnight: Tom, Karen and the rest of them

This is the last of a 6 week series entitled, "Summer at the County Fair". It is a synopsis of 6 hours I spent meeting and speaking with people who were visiting a county fair in western PA. Over the next few weeks you will see the human faces that mirror our national statistics regarding the uninsured and underinsured. Thanks to the Pennsylvania Health Access Network (PHAN) for their assistance in this series.
Photo by "Mule" Symons


It was approaching midnight in late summer as I made my way home.  I’ve always found the interstate to be a lonely place, but on this particular night it was especially forlorn.  The blackness of the night hung over me like a blindfold, unable to distinguish the landscape of the passing miles.  Was it mountain, valley or field?  I didn’t know.  The night left me abandoned.  My dawn departure from home seemed like light-years away and I still had a long way to go.  I felt lost.  Within the horizon of the black night all I could see were the faces of the people I had met in the summer of 2011.  I was haunted by their images.  I never believed in ghosts.  I did now.    What did they want from me?

I was grounded back to reality by the sour convenience store coffee I purchased at my previous stop off Pennsylvania I-80.  As home became closer, the ghosts began to emerge from the darkness and their picture became clearer.  They were beckoning me to tell their story.  Each of them was a brush stroke in a painting that blended together to create the perfect portrait of the uninsured.  I knew the data and the human images of the data appeared before me so willingly this summer.  The puzzle came together on a remote interstate that night.

The Department of Health and Human Services overview of the uninsured states that they primarily live in a family with at least one full time worker, often work in small establishments (such as Brianna), are often young adults between 19-24(like Bill and Tyler), self-employed (like Susan), low wage workers (such as Braianna and Tyler), non-unionized and part-time workers (like Shontell).[i]  This data also highlights another unexpected group, retirees.  Workers that leave their careers but are not quite old enough to qualify for medicare are another cohort that has fallen into the trap of the uninsured.

As dusk began to settle on the day just before my lonely drive down I-80, this statistic carried a human face.  Within a few hours of each other I met Tom and Karen.  Tom is a 63 year old retired guidance counselor from Mercer County.  When he retired at the age of 58 he was left to utilize COBRA at the monthly cost of $1600 a month or $19,200 a year.  While Tom was paying for this policy and isn’t considered uninsured, for many low income individuals, this is an impossibility.  Similarly, Karen is a 64 year old retired notary from Butler County who explained that she was now working part-time solely to pay for her health insurance until she reached the infamous “milestone age” of 65, the age to qualify for medicare.  After a lifetime of being a contributing members of society, are these the “golden years” we promised our retirees? 

It was approaching 1am and home was getting closer.  As I thought about Tom and Karen, I knew that retirees like them would benefit from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act because of their eligibility for the individual exchanges.  However, Tom, Karen and the other ghosts were still sitting on the passenger seat beside me.  We were traveling on an unfamiliar road.  We were on our way to experience and see the implementation of the PPACA.  The haunting of these ghosts will not end until we achieve access to health care that is not stratified.

[i] Department of Health and Human Services, Research in Action, Issue #17, September 2004

Thank you for joining the "Summer at the County Fair" series.  Please follow me next week into the fall of 2011 as I explore other aspects of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and how it will impact groups and institution in PennsylvaniaOn 11/4 meet Theresa BrownGold:




No comments:

Post a Comment